In a survey of 4,000 Brits commissioned by Smart Energy GB on home improvements, it was revealed that the key motivation for making our homes greener is to help the environment, said 71 per cent of respondents, and an equal 71 per cent stated it was to save money.
On 6 October, Homebase, in partnership with Smart Energy GB, launched ‘The Green Aisle’ in 137 of their stores nationwide to showcase home improvements products in one place, including information on how to get a smart meter from your energy supplier, which will help make homes greener and winter-ready.
We wanted to take a look at some top tips for energy saving to make your home greener!
If you look around your home and find there’s a draught around any doors and windows, you’re losing heat through them too. Draught excluders can make a huge difference and are inexpensive to buy, and very easy to make if you wanted to put your craft skills to the test. Don’t forget to check
around letterboxes or cat flaps for draughts too.
Insulation is one of the most important things you can do to make your home more energy efficient. It helps to keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, which can save you money on your energy bills. There are many different types of insulation available, so it is important to choose the right type for your home. Some of the most common types of insulation include:
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass is a popular type of insulation because it is affordable and easy to install. It is made from small glass fibers that are spun into a batt or blanket.
- Foam insulation: Foam insulation is a more expensive type of insulation, but it is also more effective. It comes in a variety of forms, including spray foam, rigid foam boards, and loose-fill foam.
- Cellulose insulation: Cellulose insulation is made from recycled paper that has been treated with fire retardant. It is a good choice for homes that are located in areas with high humidity.
Get a smart meter installed
It is easy to speak to your energy supplier and ask about getting a smart meter installed. A smart meter will allow you to better manage your energy consumption and help identify any problem areas where you are using a lot of energy. They will also help to upgrade the UK’s energy system to one that can help tackle climate change and meet our net-zero targets.
Solar panels have many benefits. They are a clean and renewable source of energy. They can help to reduce your reliance on fossil fuels and lower your carbon footprint. Solar panels can also save you money on your energy bills.
The amount of electricity that a solar panel can generate depends on the size of the panel, the amount of sunlight that it receives, and the efficiency of the panel. Solar panels typically have an efficiency of around 15%
However, there are also some challenges associated with solar panels. They can be expensive to install, and they may not generate enough electricity to meet all of your energy needs. Solar panels can also be damaged by hail, snow, and other weather events.
LED light bulbs are a smart choice for your home. They are energy efficient, long-lasting, and produce a high-quality light. If you are looking for a way to save money on your energy bills and improve the quality of your lighting, then switching to LED light bulbs is a great option over traditional light bulbs, including:
- Energy efficiency: LEDs use up to 80% less energy than traditional light bulbs, which can save you money on your energy bills.
- Longer lifespan: LEDs can last up to 25,000 hours, which is much longer than traditional light bulbs. This means you won’t have to change them as often, saving you even more money.
- Better light quality: LEDs produce a more natural light that is closer to daylight. This can help to improve your mood and energy levels.
- Dimmable: LEDs can be dimmed, which gives you more control over the light in your home.
Windows and doors
When choosing windows and doors, it is important to consider the climate in your area, the style of your home, and your budget. There are many different types of windows and doors available, so you can find the perfect ones for your home. Windows and doors serve a number of important functions in your home. They:
- Provide natural light: Windows allow natural light to enter your home, which can improve your mood and energy levels.
- Provide ventilation: Doors and windows allow fresh air to enter your home, which can help to improve air quality.
- Increase security: Well-designed windows and doors can help to deter burglars and keep your home safe.
- Add beauty: Windows and doors can add beauty and character to your home.
Making eco-friendly home improvements can help you to save money, reduce your environmental impact, and improve your home’s comfort. There are many different eco-friendly home improvement projects that you can do, so find some that work for you and your budget.
Here are some additional tips for eco-friendly home improvements:
- Use natural materials. When you are choosing materials for your home improvements, choose natural materials that are sustainable and have a low environmental impact.
- Recycle and compost. Reduce your waste by recycling and composting. This will help to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills.
- Water your lawn and plants efficiently. Water your lawn and plants efficiently to conserve water. You can do this by using a drip irrigation system or by hand-watering your plants.
- Use energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs. As mentioned above, energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs can help you to save money on your energy bills.
- Make small changes. You don’t have to do a big home improvement project to make your home more eco-friendly. You can make small changes, such as turning off lights when you leave a room, to make a difference.
Every little bit helps, so start making eco-friendly home improvements today!